History of Kingshott
Kingshott was founded in 1931 as a small boarding school for boys. It is believed that the school’s name derives from King Henry VIII as the area was part of his hunting ground. In 1964 the last boarders left. The first girls arrived in 1983.
There have been six Headmasters of Kingshott: Mr G B Stafford (1931-1959), Mr A F N Rowan-Robinson (1959-1980), Mr N J Broderick (1980-1986), Mr D Highton (1986-2000), Mr P R Ilott (2000-2008), Mr I Gilmour (2008-2016) and Mr M Seymour (2016-). In 1980 Kingshott became an Educational Charitable Trust under the guidance of a Board of Governors.
The school has expanded steadily over the years. Initially, it consisted of Oakfield House, a country house built in 1859. Eventually the stables of the old house were converted into the Dining Room, Library and Art Room. Various classroom blocks were added, including the original Pre-Prep buildings and the Rovaspans. A theatre / gym was built and then extended. Sport has played an important part in Kingshott’s history and the children benefit from over twenty three acres of playing fields, including an all-weather pitch and a covered swimming pool. In September 2003 the freehold of the majority of the site was purchased. In September 2004 the new Pre-Prep building was opened. This is called the Rowan building, after Mr Rowan-Robinson. The Rowan building was the first stage of the redevelopment of the school. The second stage was completed in October 2008 with the new two-storey Middle School, built on a portion of the current playground. This is called the Ashbrook building. In September 2009 Kingshott opened its doors to ‘rising fours’ with the addition of the Kingshott Nursery, operating from the Rowan building. A new standalone nursery building opened in October 2010.
Most recently in November 2015, we opened a multimillion pound teaching block.The Robinson building offers a sizeable, bright and airy Art Room, a dedicated Music Room, Drama Studio, Food Technology Room, Science laboratory and nine teaching classrooms. In addition, new changing rooms help to ensure that taking part in our varied Games and P.E curriculum, is an even more pleasureable experience.
There continues to be a development programme which ensures the best possible facilities for all Kingshott children. Kingshott has now started the next phase of its exciting redevelopment plan which includes a multi-purpose sports hall, astro pitch and new road system.